The Board of Regents and Department of Education recently announced regional information meetings to discuss graduation requirements in New York State. They will be discussing the following questions:
- What do we want students to know and be able to do before they graduate?
- How do we want students to demonstrate such knowledge and skills?
- How do you measure learning and achievement (as it pertains to the answers to #2 above) to ensure they are indicators of high school completion?
- How can measures of achievement accurately reflect the skills and knowledge of our special populations, such as students with disabilities and English language learners?
- What course requirements or examinations will ensure that students are prepared for college and careers or civic engagement?
If you have input and cannot attend the meeting in your area there is an online survey that can be used to provide feedback.
There is a meeting May 4th at the Eastern Suffolk BOCES in Holtsville.